Sunday, March 15, 2009

Just a quick post....

I figure while I'm sitting here watching The Princess Bride(Inconceivable!) I'll write up a little update.

Today was pretty blah, avoided housework, played with Gage..just the usual. I wanted to just write to let everyone know how well Gage is doing. He is imitating more and more each day, he's really trying to use his words. Just today he wanted to get out of his highchair and while signing "down" he actually said it. Yesterday Gage, Justin and I went to K-Mart to get a few of these baskets they have for sale there and Justin went to the bathroom. So Gage and I were walking around the baby section, getting bored so I was talking to Gage and asking him where Daddy is. I asked him a few times and at one point I said "Gage, where Daddy go?" and Gage responded as clear as can be "Don't know". Needless to say I was speechless, he's never said that before. I honestly think that his different therapies and Justin and I not catering to him as much are really helping. He just in these last few months have been thriving, he may not be as advanced according to his IEP, but seeing him in person it is a HUGE improvement. He still has a bit to go, but I think with more socialization, constant stimulation, therapy sessions and his determination that he will just keep doing better. Of course I already think he is perfect...but a little more speech cant hurt :)

Justin and I were talking last night and we were both thinking the same thing. If you look at Gage and watch him you wouldnt think he was on the spectrum. I've heard that from alot of people and just the other day I was told the same thing during a playdate with Jack and Danielle. It got me thinking more and more, so I was talking to him and its odd. There are so many things that fit and so many that dont. I know not all children on the spectrum are the same and every case is so varied, but there is just so much that doesnt fit. I dont want to say that I think the diagnosis is wrong, but I'm almost thinking we should get another one just to satisfy the questions. I mean, yes, Gage's speech is lagging..but I've been told by MANY people that they have/know kids that havent spoken unil they were 4 years old. His eye contact can vary, but what shy kid looks strangers in the eye the first time they see them? Gage spins, well so dont I, so dont alot of kids. Gage doesnt do it constantly, if he has a toy that has a propeller for example, he will spin it off and on. He will also fly it and just carry it too. Gage does seek pressure, he is a very sensory orientated kid, I wont deny that at all. The kid loves to be on his head, he's a little acrobat for sure. He has the tendency to stim when he is very excited/happy or overstimulated/tired. He doesnt do it very often though. Now, I know reading that you might think "Well there you go Barbie, you just said if for yourself. He has alot of the signs." True, like I said, he does..but here are somethings that I have been told are not typical for kids on the spectrum.

Gage is VERY affectionate, like he will kiss strangers. He has always been like this. If I tell him to kiss Bob the janitor, chances are he will. Of course he can be picky about that. He tends to only kiss the cute guys and girls(thats my boy!). He seeks attention and loves to be tickled, held, played with. He is very gentle and caring. If someone on a cartoon is sad or sad music is playing he will get emotional and sometimes cry. He is very sensitive. He doesnt care about routine, he does well with or without one. If he misses a nap, he is usually alright. Most kids thrive on a routine, so you can use that as something that only kids on the spectrum need. He is very animated and goofy..again with the seeking attention. He will just do some of the silliest things to make you laugh. I swear he does it on purpose.

I dont know what to think about it really, it fits but it doesnt. My mind is going back and forth over it. Gage to me, seems to have more sensory things than anything. I'm not a doctor though, so who knows.

I suppose I'll just go back to watching Princess Bride and contemplate all of this in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment